Thursday, April 12, 2018

You Have Something to Share


I've been feeling really inspired lately.  I've been seeing a lot of beautiful things- I've been witnessing a lot of beautiful people- I've been hearing a lot of beautiful ideas and stories. Sometimes, after becoming so inspired, I want to share.  But I hold back because of fear- what if no one cares about what I have to say?  What if I sound stupid?  What if the ideas I think are so great are really meaningless and worthless?

"A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father." -Matthew 5:14-16

But this is the call, right?  What good is it if I spend all this time collecting inspiration and wisdom if I don't share it with those around me? I want to be a source of inspiration to others. I want to encourage and build up the people in my life; even those who may not be so close to me. I want people to know and experience God in a way they may not have before. 

What holds me back, always, is this feeling that unless I am perfect, I am not equipped to share. Unless I have perfectly understood a lesson, I should not try to teach others.  Unless I wholly possess all the good traits I long for, I should not encourage others to possess them either. 

These are lies of the darkness. Human beings will always be flawed. We will never reach a state of perfection in this life. All we can do is strive, and what's even better is to strive together. Sharing what you have is perhaps one of the most beautiful acts of humility. Jesus delights in our communion with each other- in sharing ALL we have with one another.

"A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents. Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them, "Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood." -Mark 12:42-44

We don't have to wait until our cup is full.  We take whatever we have, whatever light shines within us, whatever good lessons and compassion we possess, and we give freely and openly. Don't be afraid. Don't worry about what other people will say. You have unique, individual, unrepeatable gifts that the world needs to receive. 

So share a smile, share a story, share a kind word or lesson with someone else. Share with one person or share with many, many people, but don't be afraid to go out boldly and share what you have- even if you don't feel like it's perfect.

No comments :

Post a Comment