Tuesday, January 12, 2016

What is Beautiful?

I can't tell you how many mornings I dread getting ready. I know how much effort it's going to take. I know what it takes to go from what I look like waking up to how I look when I walk out the door. Shower, foundation, concealer, powder, bronzer, blush, eye shadow, liner, curled eye lashes, mascara, lipstick. And that's all before I get to styling my hair...

As I was getting ready this morning, I took a good long look at my face in the mirror. What I saw were small red bumps that just showed up, freckles I've hated for years, a nose that looks too big, and a face that's too round. I saw myself and believed that I was ugly.

I forced myself to look myself in the eyes and really see myself. Not just the surface- but the spirit of who I am as a woman; as Holly. I saw resolve, and determination, and a soul that is battling a lot of demons, yet choosing to move forward anyway. And then I looked at all those things about my face that I thought to be ugly... and instead, I started to love them. I thought about how each and every one of those "imperfections" made me unique; natural "tattoos" that distinguished me from every other woman who ever was or ever will be. I thought about how fearfully and wonderfully made I was and how carefully and decidedly each and every part of me was called.

I am a miracle. YOU are a miracle. You are a unique and beautiful creation, distinct from every other person in this world. You are loved, simply because you exist. So today, I am choosing not to wear makeup. I am going to love myself, exactly as I am, because I was perfectly made by loving Hands. I am going to embrace those "flaws" I dislike, and accept them as a part of me, as a part of what makes me rare and valuable. I love how I look with makeup, but I don't want to feel like I have to wear it every time I go out. I want my outer beauty to merely be a reflection of what lies within.

Women, I invite you today to reflect on what makes you beautiful. What qualities or attributes do you admire when you look at yourself? What are your thoughts on beauty and makeup?


No comments :

Post a Comment